By SFPBW member and guest blogger Karen Bomm
Every year since 1989 the Professional Business Women of New Mexico has reached out into Albuquerque, Raton and Santa Fe communities seeking candidates to be nominated for their Business Woman of the Year Award (BWOY). This is a special annual recognition program for PBWNM.org .
Meet the 2015 Santa Fe winners Zella Cox with the NM General Services Department and Marsie Silvestro with Esperanza Shelter for Battered Families shown in the picture. For those interested in viewing the complete list of all the BWOY Winners, continue scrolling down.
How does PBWNM.org find their candidates each year?
PBWNM.org encourages the community to recommend a woman business associate, a female acquaintance, a woman family member or even themselves. There are powerful local women who have submitted over the years. This is a well-publicized process event and all candidates will receive special recognition even for simply submitting their nomination form.
PBWNM.org has set no limit to how many years you can submit your nomination. If you think you are interested in becoming a nominee or have someone in mind, complete the form and email it to the Chapter President before the announced deadlines. Details will be up-dated on the website once all the details are in place.
How does the BWOY selection process work?
PBWNM.org is open to expanding its local women leadership with new connections from many networks. Candidates for BWOY are not required to be members of PBWNM.org. Here is what the judges’ selection process considers: individual’s career achievements; efforts on behalf of issues such as pay equity and equal rights; assistance to others in the advancement of their own careers; guidance to youth and young professionals; and other organization/association affiliations.
On Friday, Oct. 21st, 2016 at the Santa Fe Country Club Santa Fe Professional Business Women (SFPBW) will have their reception to begin at 5:30 pm. It will be followed with a banquet at 6:30 pm.
Join this powerful group of local leaders and meet the candidates, including the winner(s), at this special event. Daniel Quat Photography will be snapping pictures of the entire evening, offering social proof by capturing the excitement for this exceptional event.
Who are the past Award recipients? Here is the list going back to the beginning:
1989 – Barbara Houliston, Cooperative Services, Inc.
1990 – Betty Eagan, Rancho Encantado, deceased
1991 – Patricia Murray, Community Bank
1992 – Annabelle Montoya, Colony Materials
1993 – Joan Nordstrum, Needle’s Eye
1994 – Jody Hooper, State of New Mexico
1995 – Kathy L. Jahner, ENCOR General mailing & Shipping
1996 – Josie Probst, Santa Fe Neighborhood Housing Services
1997 – Marcie Davis, Santa Fe Public Schools
1998 – Pamela Roy, Santa Fe Area Farmer’s Market
1999 – Asenath Kepler, Los Alamos National Bank
2000 – Marie Longserre, Santa Fe Business Incubator
- Maria Benitez, Institute for Spanish Arts
- Billie Blair, Santa Fe Community Foundation
- Rita Martinez-Purson, Santa Fe Community College
- Beverly Lennen, Santa Fe Police Department
- Dr. Linda Hanson, College of Santa Fe
- Winona Nava, Guadalupe Credit Union
- Beverly Spears, F.A.I.A., Spears Architects
2003 – Anne Stewart, Girls Inc. of Santa Fe
- Patricia Madrid, NM Attorney General
- Andrea Fischer Maril, Big Brothers Big Sisters
- Barbara Goldman, Santa Fe Rape Crisis Center
- Dolores E. Roybal, Santa Fe Community Foundation
2006 – Angie Baca, First Community Bank
- Tammy Blea, New Mexico Bank & Trust
- Mary Chavez, First National Bank of Santa Fe
- Master Sargeant Brenda Mallary, NM National Guard
- Karen Sanchez Samora, United Way of Santa Fe County
- Robin Benson, DOM Founder of Santa Fe Soul
- Valerie Espinoza, Santa Fe County Clerk
- Ana Marie Gallegos y Reinhardt, Executive Director, Warehouse 21
- Bobbie Gutierrez, Superintendent of Santa Fe Schools
2009 – Anne Sperling, Daniels Insurance
- Ellen Marshall, Marshall Rose & Associates
- Sharon Woods, Woods Design Builders
2011-Destiny Allison, Owner, Destiny Allison Fine Art and Studio, Managing Partner La Tienda at Eldorado
2012 – Annette Vigil Hayden, Principal Partner & CPA Barraclough & Associates
2013 – Lynn Sanchez, Director of Human Trafficking Victim Services
2014 – Jennifer Rios, Restaurant Martin
- Zella Cox, NM General Services Department
- Marsie Silvestro, Esperanza Shelter for Battered Families
Would you like to register? Simply complete the reservation form and send it to Angelina Hull, President of the Santa Fe Chapter. It is easy to join the Facebook digital community with a “Like”. To find this page, look on the right corner of the website.