By SFPBW Member and Guest Blogger Karen Bomm
PBWNM.org is an advocate for women. This organization strengthens our community and offers powerful networking opportunities for women in New Mexico. They have been publically supporting women’s issues at the local, state and national level since 1923.
This powerful women’s organization has been committed to achieving equity under the law for all girls and women in all stages of life through education, information and advocacy regardless of gender, gender identity, age, ethnicity, physical abilities, class or sexual identity.
Here are some of the top areas of support PBWNM.org provides:
- Equality in the workplace, including the Equal Rights Amendment, fair and equal work and opportunities for advancement and programs that insure economic self-sufficiency for women.
- Legislation and programs that protect women and girls from all forms of violence, including domestic, sexual work place violence including human trafficking.
- Legislation and programs that offer re-entry gender services for incarcerated women and recognizes prostituted minors are victims and not delinquents.
- The fundamental importance of equal access to education, including early childhood education, and access to extracurricular activities by rejecting any efforts to roll back Title IX (gender equity) legislation.
- Reforming health care for women by removing all forms of discrimination, strengthening access to healthcare that supports best reproductive health choices and access to safe family planning through all sources.
- Maintaining the statute for the New Mexico Commission on the Status of Women and supporting services to displaced homemakers.
- Expansion of paid family, medical and sick leave.
How does PBWNM.org advocate for professional women?
As a professional working woman, PBWNM.org will advocate equity for you through education on pertinent legislation issues offering guest speakers at monthly events with relevant updates. This powerful woman’s organization was built from grassroots activism on Capitol Hill which has dealt with significant issues affecting women and their families for almost a century. Their collaborative programs have strong support for women in transition including veterans.
How does PBWNM.org strengthen our community?
PBWNM.org offers many programs to help strengthen their local members through development, awareness and mentoring programs designed to build stronger professional and community leaders for today and in the future. Their diverse members and resources are backed by scholarships for youth for their annual Young Professional and Professional Development programs. Also every year they gather nominees for their Business Women of the Year Award (BWOY) to celebrate this special recognition.
Can you meet the members and learn more?
Every month Albuquerque, Raton and Santa Fe chapters host separate dinner events for members and their guests to gather. These meetings over a chef’s prepared meal facilitate professional connections that encourage mutual mentoring and offer members recognition, opportunities to network, promote and grow their business through relationship building.
For more information about their next event contact your local chapter President! Join this powerful women’s community and “Like” the Facebook Page by clicking onto the link in the top right corner of the website.